Thursday, January 17, 2008

Living the Dream

The dream of becoming a published writer is one shared by many, but accomplished by few. My dream started with an idea to share a part of who I am with others. Initially, I wanted to share my love of drawing with my grandchildren so I wrote and illustrated "The Squiggle Book"; had it spiral bound at an office supply store and diligently sent it to several publishers, who rightfully rejected it. Someday I will reformat it and try again. In the meantime, my grandchildren love it just the way it is.

If one is to write, one must be open to the opportunity to do so. I was at a dinner and overheard a group talking about wanting to find someone to write and illustrate a children's book to present the 150 years of their town. I graciously introduced myself and told them I would be willing to take on the challenge and I would do it free of charge. Many wondered why I would do such a thing, but I knew it would give me the opportunity to finally see my words and illustrations in print. Of course I had to meet with the planning committee and prove to them I was capable of such an endeavor. On our first meeting I already had most of the book completed and some of the rough illustrations created. The book was written in rhyme to keep it fun and interesting for children. It was well received and has been presented throughout that community and across the state. I have done several book signings and especially enjoy doing interactive readings using an old trunk filled with articles represented in the story and involving the audience. It is so much fun! Do I receive a great amount of monetary reward for this service? Well, no...but the pleasure is priceless!

To write one must always take notice of everything around you. I have learned that each circumstance, experience and person in my life can become an inspiration for expression. I used to paint and draw more than I write, but now I write more than the other. Either way it is all the same pleasure. One creates an image on canvas or paper using pencil or paint. The other creates an image in the mind using words.

My first published novel, "Third & Grace" (available at Amazon.com ASIN: 1424160197) was created using many of my own personal experiences and weaving them into a tender fictional story that could very easily be true. A chance encounter with a small publishing company while searching the internet and a well structured query letter earned me the opportunity to be published. I will forever cherish the memory of the excitement I experienced when I received the notice that my manuscript had been accepted and I was offered a publishing contract. It is matched only by the incredible joy I felt when I received the copies of my book and held it for the first time in my hands. To see my words printed in book form and my name on the cover was amazing and a dream come true. Has this book brought me monetary wealth and financial success? Well, no...but I love that it is out there and that others are reading it. I love it that it is enjoyed by those who read it. I love that it has encouraged others in their lives. I love it when they tell me it made them cry and laugh and they couldn't put it down until they finished it. The pleasure from that has made me oh so rich!

Now I am waiting...one of the 836 Semi-Finalists whose manuscript (The Scrapbook)is being considered in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest. Although I am already a published writer, and have succeeded in my dream of being so...I am still filled with the excitement of this contest and the wonderful opportunities it presents. I am humbled and honored to be among all the amazing talent that is represented through my fellow writers, who are not competitors but companions in this event. Do I want to win? Oh, you bet I do! Is it the most important thing in my life? No, not at all. For when it is all decided, and the prizes are awarded and the honors bestowed, the things I value most will still be all that truly matters...my faith, my family, and my friends.

No comments: